Tuesday, January 19, 2010

From sorting to packing

Thanks to my brother, I have good dial-up Internet access! Yay, Brother!

I am so tired. My brother and I have been working 12-15 hours a day for the past three days, sorting through 65 years of accumulated personal belongings, deciding who is going home with what, and packing it up. As we move into the wee hours of Tuesday morning, we've gone through all but five boxes from a closet. Brother is going back to work tomorrow (today?) and I'm packing and cleaning so we can empty the house and get it ready to rent.

May I be so bold as to suggest to all of you that you not try to sort through 65 years of accumulated personal possessions from a close and recently deceased relative in three days? Clearly there are times when it's necessary, but it is not remotely easy.

On the other hand, I am so proud of my brother (and me too). There have been no arguments, no squabbles over "stuff." We both want to honor Mom's and Dad's memories and we have very different tastes (which helps) and we both want to make this as easy as possible. I know families where it has come to physical violence over who gets what. I am so grateful that I don't have to live that!

The plan for returning to MN remains the same: I'll pick up a rented minivan on Friday, pack it with my brother's help on Friday evening, and leave sometime Saturday morning. Saturday night will be spent with Purple Grandma (my mother-in-law) and then Sunday, weather permitting, it's over the Sierras and into Nevada.

Until the next time I'm able to get online... be safe and warm.

No comments: