Thursday, January 28, 2010

Inexplicably happy to be back in the Midwest

Once again, one year and about two months later, I rolled into Lincoln, Nebraska, at sunset, while listening to David Broza. Honestly, I do have more than David Broza on my iPod. Can I say again (one year and two months later) that there is just something right about arriving in Lincoln at sunset listening to David Broza? I know... I have some truly weird associations.

So here I am, not far from the Nebraska State Penitentiary, feeling oh so safe. Had a small dinner in a little hole-in-the-wall diner with a tiny menu and excellent service. And free wi-fi, which I never would have figured. 

I am so ready to be home. I miss my kids, my husband, my bed. Not necessarily in that order.

The drive tomorrow should be pretty good. All the storms are south in Oklahoma. It'll just be cold, but not that much colder than it is here. Most of the day today, temps have been about 14-18°F. Locals have complained about the cold but expressed gratitude that there wasn't a 40mph wind to accompany the temps. I concur. A 40mph wind would make driving ickier.

Home is 435 miles away, about the same drive as today. Here's hoping the roads are clear of ice and snow! If I get on the road tomorrow as early as I did today, I'll make it home before Shabbat begins.

Nothing much to report in terms of photos today. I am inexplicably happy to be back in the Midwest. Some would call the scenery boring compared to the mountains I've been through, but in the winter, I'll take my "boring" farm fields and Midwest towns any day over windy and icy mountain passes.

Looking forward to being home!

No comments: